Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Announcing the Frigate Essex by Model Shipways!

Ok, so the cat is finally out of the bag! One of Chuck Passaro's proteges (Sam Cassano) has been toiling away for several years on the Frigate Essex and she's nearly ready for production! The Essex will
be released as our second admiralty model kit our Model Shipways division - we're targeting to have this in production (barring any unforeseen issues) sometime during the latter part of Summer 2012! There is a ton more to tell you all - more will follow!

Confederacy (top) and Essex (bottom)











5 comments:

  1. The old 5/64"=1 ft. scale (KIT #2007), "Yellow box" ESSEX was my first Model Shipways kit that I purchased at a local hobby shop about 40 years ago. A larger scale kit (1/8"-1 ft., kit #2107) was available also. Both were excellent quality solid hull kits way back then. I'm sure your new ESSEX will not disappoint your future enthusiasts either. Good luck with your new ESSEX project; I'll look forward to more information about it. Joe N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a "yellow box" essex still unopened - maybe I ought to get started!!

      Delete
    2. Hi

      I just bought one of the yellow boxed Essex kits from someone on eBay and it would be great to see pics of your kit to compare what parts I have in mine. The plans show the US flag from 1779 period but are not with the kit, for one thing that is perhaps missing.

      Delete
  2. I would be curious to learn more about his source(s) of information regarding the figurehead. I am currently carving the Indian following the drawing in the book "The 32-Gun Frigate ESSEX" (page51) by Portia Takakjian, as well as drawings located on the plans she drafted. I have been unable to identify any other source of information. My carving stands about 7 inches. DaveM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaveM,

      Contact me at swjcjr@yahoo.com and I'll try to answer your questions.

      Hope to hear from you - Samuel Cassano, Jr. designer USF ESSEX

      Delete